Pouring through the Google Analytics to identify website traffic trends from 2015 for the YMCA family...
As of December 15th, 2015, we have reviewed over 3 million visits to Thrive built YMCA websites year to date and discovered the following:
- 53.5% of all site traffic came from either a smartphone or a tablet, meaning only 46.5% of traffic is coming from a desktop or laptop computer. And I promise when we do this report next year, the amount of traffic from mobile devices will only increase.
- Of the sites reviewed, only 1 had mobile traffic of less than 30%.
- Only three were under 40%.
- 15 sites had mobile traffic above 50%
- Five websites had more than 48% of its traffic originating from mobile devices.
- If these five websites had generated 6,274 more mobile visits they would tipped past the 50% mark.
The top mobile devices accessing YMCA websites:
- Apple iPhone
- Apple IPad
- Samsung Galaxy S5
Looking at the traffic by quarter, I noticed a trend I did not expect. In all four quarters, mobile traffic was above 50%, but it did not show increases each quarter like I expected.
The 1st quarter showed the highest percentage of the year, while the second quarter showed the lowest. Some of this can be explained by the launch of four new responsive websites in the 2nd and 3rd quarters that historically did not have mobile friendly sites and needed some time to build traffic. Also, overall traffic dropped slightly during the second quarter.
Any way your look at it, mobile traffic is more than 50% of your website traffic and it is here to stay. If you want to learn more about mobile friendly, responsive websites, click on the button below to get in touch with a ySite specailist.